Email received on 7-15-99 by Jayne W. Dye from Joel Hartley.

Here is a photo of W H DYE (Tip Dye) I suspect the picture was taken in the 1930's because my father was mayor of Pomeroy during that period and this picture was among his papers. Thought maybe he might be some kin of yours -- Joel Hartley

W. H. Tip Dye

William Henry Harrison Dye
b. October 7, 1804              in Harrisonville, Meigs Co., OH
m. May 4, 1868                  in Harrisonville, Meigs Co., OH
d. May 6, 1929                  in Harrisonville, Meigs Co., OH

Father:   Martin Thomas Dye
Mother:   Margaret Bradfield
1st Wife: Elizabeth J. Welch         2nd. Wife Martha Lovina Welch

Bessie F. Dye        b. Jan 22, 1869               d. Feb 15, 1873
Homer C. Dye         b. July 24, 1870              d. Jan 18, 1872
Jennie E. Dye        b. March 6, 1873              d. Aug 3, 1873
Daisy E. Dye         b. 1875                       d. 1879
Danny Dye
W.H.H. Dye  wrote his recollections of the Civil War  1862 - 1865.
He was a sergeant - Company G  116th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

It begins with a (now) 7 typewritten pages summary of Aug. 18, 1862 to  July 13, 1864.
  Parts of that section are typed in below. 
The next section has dated entries for each day from July 14, 1864 to Dec 31, 1864. 
  A few will be entered here. 

The final entry is a paragraph summary covering Jan 1 1865 until he was mustered 
out, paid and arrived home on June 26, 1865.  
  This paragraph will be entered later.
Memorandum of Marches I enlisted in the US Army Aug 18th, 1862 and started for camp at Marietta under the command of Cap't J. C. Golden. We got in camp on the 21st. There was but one company for the 116rh Reg. of the O.V.I. in camp ahead of us but in a few days the reg. was full, also the 92nd, O.V.I. was forming at the same time and left camp before the 116th. It was reported that the Rebels were threatening a raid on Parkersburg, the Col. being apprised to the fact immediatly armed us and shipped us forward to Parkersburg. We landed there the same eve. and remained there 5 days, and no enemy came. ..... I must not forget to mention that while at latter place I was very sick with chronic dioreah and was sent to the hospital, but owing to the mean treatment of the surgeon in charge. I would not stay, so joined my reg.......... ...and camped on the old fair ground near Galipolis. It was there I first witnessed the horrors of war for the first time I was present when the wounded of the late fight on Kanawha was taken from the boat and carried to the hospital. It made me heart sick to see the broken bones and mangled flesh of those unlucky ones. It caused me to look ahead and reflect upon the sad fate that probably awaits myself........... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Friday, Dec. 23rd, 1864 Marched abou;t 5 miles and encamped about 10 miles from Richmond. Saturday, Dec. 24th I have spent most of the day in carrying logs for a house. Wrote a letter to Bro.Dave. Heavy cannonading at Dutch Gap Sunday, Dec. 25 Worked hard all day carrying timber for my house, winter quarters, everything quiet for Christmas. Monday, Dec 26 Worked on my house. Got it all finished but the chimney. Rained today. Heavy cannonading in the direction of Petersburg. Tuesday, Dec 27 Worked on my chimney. Got it nearly done. Drawed 3 days rations. Very heavy cannonading this evening. Wednesday, Dec.28 Finished my chimney and now occupy a comfortable hut. Was called in line of battle but no enemy came. Wrote a letter to Bro. Andrew. Thursday, Dec. 29 Had inspection of cartridge boxes. Every man was compelled to have 40 rounds in the box. Friday, Dec. 30 This is a quiet day with the exception of a few shots from Fort Darling from the mortars. Read a novel through, title, Paul Deveile. More of this diary will be added in the weeks to come.